Friday, April 9, 2010

into His

The other night I was reading and these words hit my heart: "Maybe it's time to stop placing four-dimensional limits on God. Maybe it's time to stop putting God in a box the size of your cebral cortex. Maybe it's time to stop creating God in your image and let Him create you in His."

How big is your God? Chris Tomlin and Louie Giglio talk about the indescribable God. How He is bigger than the universe and can fit it all in the palm of His hand. I love the way they explain God's size. I cannot do it justice and often tend to underestimate the "bigness" of my God. So many times I try to make Him fit into my situation or fit into my life when I'm not even a spec on the map. But... for some odd, indescribable reason, He cares and longs for me... yes, little ole me.

I love God's explanation of Himself when He was responding to Job's cry. Job 11: 7 "Do you think you can explain the mystery of God? Do you think you can diagram God Almighty? God is far higher than you can imagine, far deeper than you can comprehend, Stretching farther than earth's horizons, far wider than the endless ocean..."

Wow! How would I describe God? Ooooph ~ that's the problem. I have got to stop trying to create God in my image, my imagination, my description... and let Him continue to work me into His image. I cannot do God justice by putting boundaries on His greatness. I cannot do God justice by trying to explain His mightiness. If He can calm a storm with three simple words ~ "peace be still;" flood the world for forty days... He pretty much is out of the grasp of my imagination of exactly how powerful He truly is.

The changing seasons shows me a glimpse of how much beauty and power my God has. Autumn is my favorite time of year. I think I love fall because I don't handle the heat of the summer very well and by the end of summer, I'm longing for some relief. The colors in Northwest Arkansas arrange from greens, yellows, oranges, reds, deep purple and browns. It's as though God pulled out the paint brushes and went to work ~ creating a masterpiece. BUT... there's really something truly amazing about Springtime.

The last couple of weeks, I have sat at my desk at work, and watched out the window and see the field of cattle what once was dormant field of brown grass turning into a lush pasture of green. A beautiful pair of finches have taken up residence in the tree six feet from my desk. I've been blessed to watch them pick out real estate and single handedly bring in one twig at a time building a nest suitable for a quickly growing family. I love watching the male perched in the tree beside their new home inspecting his work, bringing in food and taking care of his soon to be family. The cows are grazing their new summer fields. They were moved from winter pastures last week and have finally settled in to their new surroundings. Life is happening all around me. The daffodils are making their appearances all over town. The dogwood tree in the backyard is in full bloom... life.

His beauty is all around us. Spring is so refreshing ~ it's a new start. It's a fresh breath of air. It's a renewing of the spirit ~ into His spirit. But having an eye for all of this beauty around I still cannot fathom the full holiness of God. I cannot wrap my mind around how to completely define Him. I see His work all around me, but that only proves there is so much more that I cannot see of Him. I think I have made my God too small. Do I fear Him? Do I fear Him enough? What exactly do I know about Him... about Holy? ...Just the glimpse of Him brings my humble heart crumbling ...I cannot imagine knowing His wholeness ~ I may never know. I know only a glimpse of what He might be. ...all I can say is ~ wow.

There's a song that I often hear that reminds me exactly how BIG my God really is. Addison Road has a beautiful song call, "What Do I Know of Holy."

Here are the lyrics & video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS-bRarAZ2g
What Do I Know of Holy

Words and Music by Jenny Simmons and Alli Rogers

I’ve made you promises a thousand times • I’ve tried to hear from heaven • But I talk the whole time • I think I made you too small • I’ve never feared you at all, no • If you touched my face would I know you • Looked into my eyes could I behold you


What do I know of you • Who spoke me into motion • Where have I even stood • But the shore along your ocean • Are you fire, are you fury • Are you sacred, are you beautiful • So what do I know • What do I know of holy


I guess I thought that I had you figured out • I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about • How you were mighty to save • But those were only empty words on a page • Then I caught a glimpse of who you might be • The slightest hint of you brought me down to my knees


What do I know of Holy • What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame • And a God who gave life its name • What do I know of Holy • Of the One who the angels praise • All creation knows your name • On earth and heaven above • What do I know of this love • © 2007 Simple Tense Songs / Alli Rogers Publishing / ASCAP. Administered by Simpleville Music Inc. All rights reserved.


Pretty humbling... I guess it's truly time to stop creating God in my image and let Him create me into His.

Oh Lord, thank you for your mighty hand! Thank you for your holiness. Cleanse me... Use me... make me holy. Make me into what you want me to be, Lord. Thank you for the beauty around me. Help to not use what I know of you as empty words, but as an impact to those around me. You are beautiful, You are sacred... teach me. Thank you for the wounds that have healed my shame. I thank You and praise You in Jesus, precious name.

No comments:

Post a Comment