Wednesday, August 5, 2009

move my feet

"Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet."  I read this somewhere and it hit home.


Every day I ask for God's direction, understanding and vision for what He has for me. But some days, I not sure I'm really willing to take that next move to let him use me, to direct me or help me to understand exactly His will for my life. It's one thing to ask, but another to actually move to the call.


Several times this last week, I have found myself in a situation where I need to die. Not in a physical way ~ in a mental, fleshly way. My fleshly desires want to take over and take charge of my every move, my step... and ultimately my mind.  As simple as it is... I lose track. I lose focus on the ultimate goal. The path looks foggy, disturbed and I not sure what lies in wait for me up ahead. I can't see clearly, the things I should be doing. And can't see what lies in wait for my passing. I begin to doubt what I'm doing, where I'm going, what I need... Ultimately I begin to fear. I begin to retreat back to my comfort zone, less striving, less attentive to God's voice. Although I consistently asked God to lead me.


But, what good is it if I'm not willing to go and do what is needed of me ~ if I'm not willing to move my feet?


The other night, Natalie in tears crawled in bed with me. As a mother, I comforted her in my arms and asked what was going on. She responded simply, "I'm scared." She had a nightmare that was detailed and too real in her mind. She said she couldn't stop thinking about it and it just scared her so much. I wrapped my arms around her, held her tight and told her to think about her favorite cartoon. It became relevant to me at that point... I'm scared too.  And probably too much to do with where my focus is right now. It's in my Father's arms where I feel most comforted.  From the time I was a kid in Missionettes, I constantly reflect back to Philippians 4:8, whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good report, think of these things. 


When I think about these things, my feet want to move. I want to make an impact in the world, in my own, quiet way. God gives me choices. ...some times I wished He didn't, but He does. He gives me the choice to let him guide my steps or try to make it on my own.  I don't want to be in my comfort zone... I want to stay hungry... I want to seek God to feed my soul. I want to seek God to move my feet. 


Romans 10:14-15 reads: How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"


Lord, take control of my feet... help me to get up and move to your calling, to be a servant to fulfill your need, your will. Use me for your glory, for your kingdom. I'm reminded of a prayer by Chuck Oodegard at church: "Lord, give me eyes to see the world as you see it. Lord, give me ears to hear the world as you hear it. Lord, break my heart with the things that break your heart. Lord let me serve you in the joy that only you can give." In Jesus precious name.

No comments:

Post a Comment