Monday, August 3, 2009

parental love

God loves me. I don't think I really knew how that statement was true until the experience of raising Natalie. As a parent, I can't imagine my child ever doing anything to me, against me that would cut the ties of love I have for her. Even imagining her as adult and making choices of her own that would change her life for good or bad ~ I still can't imagine not loving her. Nor can I think of anything that I wouldn't do to show her my parental love. It's unconditional. It's indescribable. It's parental love.

God, in the same sense, has called me as his own child. He has no grandchildren, no aunts, no uncles, no step children... He has children and I am His child.  When I obey Him I am rewarded; I am blessed. When I do not obey ~ guess what? He still loves me so very much. So much more than I can ever imagine. It is a parental, patient, forgiving, unconditional, unfailing, trusting, hoping, protecting love as in I Corinthians 13.

The blood of Christ shouts once and for all on behalf of the Father, "I love you! There's nothing bad you can do to make Me love you less, and nothing good you can do to make Me love you more–it's impossible to love you more than I already do and always will." from Releasing the Rivers Within by Dwight Edwards.

God does not punish me for my sins... sin is, in itself, punishment ~ sin devours me from the inside. It is not God's purpose to punish me for it, but He receives joy when He has cured me from it. I cannot gain God's love. No matter what I do (or don't do, for that matter) I cannot gain more love from God. He loves me ~ He truly loves me. No matter what mess I get myself in... no matter what steps I have taken. God is what He is... no matter how I've preconceived notions and ideas in my mind. I only need to accept what it is; what He is ~ Love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment