Wednesday, September 30, 2009

allow me

In the last verse of Mark 8, Jesus tells us that if we are ashamed of him and the gospel, upon his return, He too will be ashamed of me. I think in my younger years, this statement was harder to overcome than today. Today, I am proud of the fact that the God of the universe admires and loves me beyond belief, but it has taken faith and trials to bring me to this point in my relationship with God. 

Lately, I've been trying to help Natalie understand how and why we shouldn't be ashamed of the ultimate God of the universe. Up until a few weeks ago, Natalie would not publicly pray. I never forced it on her, but continually encourage and ask her if she would like to pray. So, the other day, I asked if she would like to pray over the meal. To my surprise, she said, "yes, I would." The two of us held each others hand, bowed our heads and turned our thoughts toward God and for the first time, I listened to the words being launched to God by my daughter in her small voice. I was so proud of her. She thanked our Heavenly Father for the day, for keeping us safe, for the food and asked Him to bless the food to the nourishment of our bodies and all these things were asked and thought of "in Jesus' name." I commended her for her prayer and thanked her. She could tell I was proud of her. 

A few weeks ago, she and I had a discussion about perception and how God loves us, but if we are ashamed to talk to Him or share things we know about Him with other people, then He is going to be ashamed of us too. But if we are zealous in our sharing the news, God too is going to have favor toward us. 

I think that discussion may have triggered her thinking. Over the last couple of weeks she has wanted to pray over every meal. I imagine God getting tickled and smiling down at her, with her sweet little voice and tender, young spirit. I'm reminded of the verse that Matthew 10:32 whoever acknowledges me, I will also acknowledge him before my father. 

This morning while jumping through our morning routine, Natalie at the breakfast table, myself at the ironing board, we were listening to a local radio station. A comment was made upon the thought that when we are in difficult situations we shift our focus to God and ask for His help and strength to get us through another day.  I looked over at Natalie as she asked, "Mom, do we do that?" I smiled and said, "Yes, I do. Do you ask God to help you?" She gave me that look like you're the momma,  you're suppose to take care of those things for us. 

I asked her when she's in difficult times if she asked God to help her; if she forgot to do homework or if someone gave her a hard time at recess or someone said something not nice to her. I explained to her how God hears our thoughts and looks at our heart and that it's okay to take a few minutes in a quiet, silent prayer asking God for help and strength. I could see her little wheels churning on that comment. 

Job 11:7-9 ~ Job asks us, "Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty? God is far higher than you can imagine, far deeper than you can comprehend, stretching farther than earth's horizons, far wider than the endless ocean." I cannot put into words how mighty and amazing and endless my God is, but I ask myself how can I be ashamed of the one who has given me breath? How can I be ashamed of the one who continues to allow me to breath? How can I be ashamed of the one who sees me better than I see myself? If anything I should be intimidated beyond all means, but some how He gives me peace and whispers gently to me, "I am right here for you."

It's financially tight in our household right now and I look at the figures and each month I think I'm going to get a little ahead, and find myself spinning my wheels. We are not doing without. We are not hungry. We are just not getting ahead. Paul confirms God is for us in Philippians when he writes of his journey. In Philippians 4, Paul tells the church of Philippi that he is rejoicing in God, far happier than you would ever imagine. He says he has learned to be quite content whatever his circumstances. Paul has been hungry; he's been full; he's had plenty and done without, but still found contentment in all; even in difficult, tight situations. Paul knows that he can make it through anything, even sitting in a prison cell, because he is in the One who makes him who he is.  

Let me repeat that one part... Paul is able to rejoice because he is in the One who makes him who he is.

Wow! So, as Paul states... when I am in the One, the One who makes me who I am and if I am ashamed of Him ~ I suppose, I am also ashamed of myself and who I am. I am a daughter of the king; Natalie is a daughter of the king! How could I be ashamed of being a daughter of the king of kings?!? What a privilege it is to me to be called a child of God. God doesn't need me to have His will fulfilled... it's an honor and a privilege that He allows me to be a part of his kingdom.

I recently read a passage in a book of a lady going through a cancer battle. God answered her prayers of healing and she listed a few things she learned in the process of believing. She learned that God's plan is better than our plan. She discovered prayer is powerful. She learned that God promises comfort, strength and divine peace in suffering times. She came to understand she can be grateful when God answers some prayers with a "no." And the one that stood out to me the most... she found that God does not need us, but he allows us to be a part of his purpose. Isn't that refreshing!!! God wants us to want Him. He wants us to call on Him in good times and in difficult times; rely on Him and with faith; expect Him to handle those difficult situations we think are out of our control. 

Out of my faith in Him, He allows me to be a part of His purpose. Out of His faithfulness, He is there waiting for me to ask Him to be a part of me. In Him, I am who he made me to be! Through Him, He allows me to be part of His purpose. And that is the greatest reward and there's no way I could be ashamed of that!

Oh, precious Lord! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your purpose! Thank you for your faithfulness and for showing me faith. Thank you for taking control of all situations ~ difficult or not. Help me to completely let go! Thank you for loving me! In Jesus' perfect name!

No comments:

Post a Comment