Thursday, September 3, 2009

dose of joy

I chatted with my mom last night for over an hour on instant messenger. She's so sneaky ~ I thought she was dad. They have their own individual languages. 

When I see them logged in (they share a user name), nine times outta ten it's dad and i say, "hi daddy!" His response is usually, "hi baby." If it's my mom, she usually types, "Hi Suzanne." 

I typed my typical introduction, "hi daddy." She typed "Hey Babe." (I should have known... she used upper and lower case). When daddy and I type-chat, we use lower case... it's just easier. 

So, I started to ask him, "how are you feeling today?" but I already knew his typical response would have been, "with my fingers. how do you feel?" I thought I'd throw him off track a little and ask if he was able to eat anything today since he has been having some problems the last couple of days. She couldn't take her joke too long ~ she caved. "Believe it or not its MOM," she typed; "I was just pulling your chain." Even from two hours driving distance away, I could hear her little giggle as she thought she had pulled a good one over on me. ...sneaky woman! We chatted about a few things and how she broke her toe yesterday (ouch) and that she was getting ready for bed... over an hour later, we finally said goodnight. 

I chatted to her about the different things that have been on my heart lately. One being my interpretation of joy. Ecclesiastes 3 states there's a time for everything... I like this chapter a lot. It sure makes sense on a lot of life situations. God pretty much lists out that there's is a time for whatever I may possibly think about going through in my life. Yes, there's a time to be born, to die, to heal, to kill, to tear down, to build up, to laugh, to weep, to mourn to dance, to scatter, to gather, time to embrace, to refrain, to search, to give up, to keep, to throw away, tear, to mend, to love... you get the picture. There is really not a whole lot more ~ our lives are going to pass along one of these times at some point. With all these different times coming and going, there is a consistency. There is joy in the midst. 

In 1 Thessalonians 5:16 it reads simply, "be joyful always." That's it. Be joyful. The next verse, "pray continually." Joy, pray.

No matter what I go through, there is joy. It's mine. 

I can still hear mom giggling in my mind. She said we had the sleepy sillies. Little did she know I was up writing this blog. :)

So, Let me try to explain how I see joy from a different angle. Joy is typically associated with an emotion or physical expression; such as an outage for happiness. But sometimes I find that joy is not always a feeling; nor an emotion. Now, don't get me wrong... I've been abundantly happy but also there have been times I've been terribly sad. I know joy can come along with happiness and to grasp on to the offering God gives us there is contentment in Him knowing that he is in control. I can still have joy in the sad times too.  

Joy is listed in Galatians 5:22 as fruit of the spirit along with love, peace, patience, goodness, kindness and faithfulness. On Wednesday nights, we're studying the book of Philippians and how Paul still finds joy in some very difficult times. He talks in the first chapter about how he is in chains for Christ, but because of his suffering, others have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly. 1 Peter 1:8, "...joy unspeakable and full of glory..." 

Think of joy as low bearing fruit. God offers it to me anytime, anywhere, for any occasion. It's just there. I just have to take it ~ like fruit. Oh, and is it ever sweet! In everything we should find joy. It's kind of like contentment without settling. It's not so much that "I feel this, or I feel that" ~ but that there's a safe, quiet peace that puts a smile on my face. It's one of God's gift to me.

Joy also comes with a dose of peace, and a splash of love. It comes with the faith of knowing that God is here and dwelling among us, protecting me. It's like Paul said, knowing I'm alive with Him, but even if death takes me ~ I'm even more alive with Him. It's a "win-win" situation. It's not just a "lack of tears." There may be occasions I'm going to cry in joyous times. Joy is mine ~ just like love, it's there. 

Take it. It's yours. If you don't ~ it's still there just waiting on you. Then if you need a little more ~ a new dose will be there as the sun comes up along with your mercy and grace and love. It takes faith knowing it's there for us to accept ~ so pull up a chair and let's embrace it. Let's partake ~ however you want... sip it, slurp it, eat it with a fork ~ however you want it, enjoy your dose of joy! I prefer mine with a cup of coffee. :) 

"We just have to accept it." Nicely said, mom. :)

Lord, you are my strength. Just as the sweetness of ripe fruit, I receive your sweet, sweet joy, wrapped up with unconditional love and perfect peace. I'm especially thankful for my mom today. When you created her, you knew she would be my mom ~ hand picked for me... and I am ever grateful! Thank you for her strength for I know she too relies on you. Lord, I pray a special blessing to whoever is reading this today. Give them an abundance of joy; wrap it up in your amazing love and cover it with your comforting peace. Lord, let me be your waitress and help serve your goodness to them. Help me to let them know, just as Paul conveyed in Philippians, no matter the situation, no matter the pain; You are still the one who gives this amazing love. Graciously and joyously You have already picked up our bill! You still amaze me! In Jesus precious name.

No comments:

Post a Comment