Monday, June 29, 2009

purge your conscience

Hebrews 9:14 ~ is what I read in my hand writing on the edge of a piece of paper. I think I remember writing that reference down in church, but I don't recall why.... so I looked up Hebrews 9:14.

"How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?" Hebrew 9:14

Wow! 

I'm reading a book called Releasing the Rivers Within by Dwight Edwards. It's pretty powerful. In fact, as I'm reading, I'm finding myself going back every few paragraphs and reading it again just to be sure that was what I just read. There is affirmation going on... Edwards talks briefly about fear, then a stirring, bearing different fruit, strong roots and I just read about giving up the easy road and go where Christ went. Jesus was in the streets, in the crowds, with the sick, healing, touching mingling with the lepers.  I see as a Christian how easy it is to be intertwined in a world of what might be called "safe and easy." In this safe bubble... I would think that I primarily have friends who call themselves "Christians".  It hits me... how do I reach the lost and share God's word if all my acquaintances and friends already know of the God I love? 

In this book, Edwards says, "An inevitable part of the life of Christ flowing out through us will be fishing for men and seeking the lost." ...fishing for men... hhmmm ~ I've been hearing this quite a bit.

This morning I read a friends blog who talked about trees extending up praise and how it is the roots that give strength. It made me smile! So I'm reading along in my book this afternoon about how God has rooted us and gives us strength... How our branches should not only be intertwined with only other Christians, but stretched out to the world. It is the life of Christ flowing through me... using me to touch the world... not just my world. These are not my doings... this is God working through us.

...Oh, I love it when He does this! It is clear what God wants me to do... purge my conscience of dead works and work for the One who offers eternal life. 

Okay, Lord... 

how?

No comments:

Post a Comment