Thursday, December 3, 2009

letter of the heart

II Corinthians 3:2-3 says, "You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not in ink, but with the Spirit of the the living God."

This week I had the sweetest blessing in the world! My dad and friend of the family came down and laid tile in my bathroom and hung the paneling on the walls. I bought this house almost three years ago and little by little trying to fix it up. It seems like when I have the money, I don't have the time. And when I have the time... I don't have the money. ...'tis life. The bathroom is coming along nicely! I finished the molding and baseboards today. I've already purchased a new counter top, but am waiting to purchase the sink. Soon it will be complete... little by little.

I saw my father exhaust himself on this project. He wasn't suppose to do much, but you can't stop him from doing something he has his mind set on. I breaks my heart to see him get frustrated with himself because daily he is realizing he cannot do the things he used to be able to do. His whole life he has supplied for the family; help neighbors; tended the yard; worked on the cars and house.. never stopped or slowed down. He told me this week that my tile floor was the last project he was going to conquer. He realized that he just doesn't have the stability to tackle another large project. I didn't ask him to help me on the bathroom. He insisted and wanted to bless me. ...and I'm ever grateful!

The life style Paul is talking about is unapologetic. It's a life filled of ministry. It's a servant hearted life. It's a selfless life; a clean and righteous life. The letter is the life each of us live. It's how people see us and it's who we are when no one is looking. Am I writing a beautiful letter?

When Paul talks about the letters of the heart, I immediately think of my daddy. He's always been a giver and still is. He wants to help whenever able with friends, church, family... no matter the cost ~ no matter if he ends up in bed for several days. I see his generous lifestyle and the letter on his sweet heart is so beautifully written. ...and I'm eternally grateful and blessed to call him daddy!

Daddy ~ thank you for all the work you have done for me. I love you to infinity and beyond!

Lord, Thank you for my daddy! Thank you for giving him to me and being the servant hearted example I need. Touch his body and give him strength and endurance. Warm his soul this winter and bless him ten times more than he has blessed me. You are such a gracious God! In Jesus' precious name.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sis - so happy for you, Natty & your new bathroom. Yes... daddy (and mom) would do anything for us girls. This story reminded me of his email signature:

    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But people will never forget the way you made them feel.
    Jesus never fails.
    Jerry

    Love ya,
    m-

    ReplyDelete