Friday, July 24, 2009

a day in June

I recently ran to the local grocery store to pick up milk. My dad was in town and I knew we would need some breakfast goodies for the next morning and with the long hours at work that week I wasn’t able to make it to the grocery store. So... I'm standing in line with my gallon of milk, a platter of sausage patties, a box of Natalie's favorite "honey bunches" (of oats) cereal and two cans of Grands flaky biscuits. Natalie and Dad both love biscuits and gravy so I thought I would surprise them with a nice little breakfast in the morning. 

So, I'm standing in line. There's one checker ~ which I'm not complaining... it is 11pm and the people in front of me are there for only for a few items as myself. But I'm watching the checkout lady. Her name badge reads "June B." That struck me as familiar since Natalie and I have been reading through the Barbara Park's series of "Junie B. Jones" books the last couple of months.

June, the cashier, is probably about my age, but seems like life hasn't been quite as easy for her. Her teeth are a bit aged and may be a sign of a few bad choices in her life, but what caught my attention is her interaction with the customer. I'm standing there watching her smile and how she easily, with grace, encourages the lady in line. Two customers in front of me, June carries on conversation as though this customer was the most important thing in June's job. The customer walked off with a smile and June still in her pleasant demeanor waved her goodbye with the words "have a great night." 

At that moment, her attention immediately shifted to the lady in front of me in the checkout with the question "how are you doing tonight?" Her customer service attitude still gleamed and now the comfort and well being of the customer in front of me became the most important part of June B's job. The customer was telling her about her day, but talking softly so I didn't catch all.  June courteously reminded the customer not to forget her bag of ice on her way out.

Then it was my turn. There was no one was behind me. Natalie had stayed at the house with Paw as I made my quick dash to pick up my few breakfast items. June commented on my items and in a round about way complimented me by being prepared for the morning. I made a little comment to down play the "compliment" saying something to the effect... "oh, I should have gone last night, but I've been working too much and haven't found time." I suppose I was looking for a little sympathy... She again complimented me ... and I think the conversation went a little like this:

June: Hi

Me:  Hi

June: How are you? 

Me: I'm good.

June: Well, this is great that you're preparing for morning.

Me: oh, thanks ~ I should have gone last night, but I was working too late and didn't have time to get to the store... thought I would surprise the little one with biscuit and sausage in the morning... now i just have to get up and fix it in the morning.

June: then you could say, 'oh, honeyyyy.... I'm tired, I picked up breakfast... why don't you...

I stopped her in her tracks while both of us smiling at her cute come back and replied, "Oh, I'm a single mom." 

...now what kind of response is that? As soon as I heard myself say that, I suddenly thought to myself ~ are fishing for a compliment? or sympathy? That was pathetic.

Now... her comeback was better than my sympathetic sarcasm. She jokingly said with a smile, "you're lucky!" Her come-back stopped me in my tracks! She didn't buy into my sympathetic behavior at all... I laughed all the way to the car, but it made me think. …thank you June!

I’m “lucky?” Maybe more along the lines of “blessed”… Life didn’t turn out how “I” thought it would, but this “life” isn’t mine to plan. God is molding me and making me something stronger than I could ever dreamed of being. If I’m patient and willing to listen to God’s voice, my path becomes His. I humbly accept the servant role that He commands of me.  I’m not perfect… nor does He expect that of me. I know that it is my failures that make my faith stronger and my failures that keep me running back to Him.

I have been working long days... 17 and 19 hour days and I'm not the happiest camper in the park right now. I've been in the middle of meltdowns a couple of times this week. But my experience with June... was one of the most joyful experiences I have had in a while. 

I don’t know if June realizes what she does. Nor do I know if she realizes she touched my life. I don’t know if June knows God’s love, but I do know her compassion for others bring me joy. June wouldn’t let me bring myself down… instead of she added a smile to my long day.

Lord, thank you for June. I ask you to touch her life in a way that she knows it comes from You.  Continue to put a song in her heart and a smile on her face so that she blesses more people. Help me to be more compassionate towards people especially those whom I have an opportunity to make a lasting impression. There are pressures of life that bring me down constantly, but Lord, you gave me your yoke; your lighter load and even with that, you offer to carry it for me too. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for your grace and mercy. I praise you for you are so worthy of all praise. In your son’s precious name.

No comments:

Post a Comment