Monday, July 13, 2009

the usual

The other day Natalie and I decided on McDonald's for dinner. Since I have been requiring her to put in as many hours as I have at work, I thought she could use a little break and a deserving treat. I wouldn't say that McDonald's is her favorite fast food restaurant, but I would say that eating in the dinning area of McDonald's seems to be a huge treat to her.  We don't have a play area at our Micky-Dee's, nor is there anything "wonderful" about the inside of the greasy joint, but for some reason, it's a treat to her. Maybe it's because she picks the table, brings the ketchup, straws, napkins and items to the table... Or maybe it's just sitting across the table with my undivided attention... whatever the cause, it's just not the same when we bring the food home in a bag.

Anyway, we head to our local dive, pull into the parking space and I ask... "so have you thought about what you're going to order for dinner?" She responds with "I'll just have the usual." Her 'usual' consists of one cheeseburger, plain happy meal with fries and white milk, a four piece chicken nugget, sometimes a side of apple dippers and a vanilla cone to top it off.

For some reason when she said, "the usual," it struck me from a religious aspect. Webster defines usual as "a habit; ordinarily used or course of events." I know 'the usual' is a comfort zone... something I'm typically routinely doing ~ even in my relationship with God. 

How is it that the God I serve is completely unchanging from every aspect, never falls in the category of "the usual"? His mercies are new every morning... His blessings are unending from every aspect. Every day He shows me in a new way how He loves and cares for me by supplying my needs. Lamentations 3:22-25, after wondering how much more torment could go on, they still state that "The Lord's compassions never fail. They are new every morning. The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him. 25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him..."

When Natalie said "I'll have the usual," my thoughts focused toward God and I apologized for the times when I only give Him "the usual." My relationship with the indescribable merciful God should be anything but usual... He should be my every breath, thought and movement. He gives me more than I can imagine and ~ I in return should give Him my everything.

Sunday, we talked about the action of fasting and how fasting was a part of the cultural in biblical times and typically people would fast on the Sabbath and in the middle of the week. Fasting was just one way of worshipping God. I've heard people use fasting in a way to get something or waiting for God to answer a prayer ~ in fact, I've done that myself. Many places in the bible, fasting is clearly stated as an act to show your love towards God expecting nothing in return ~ another way of worship. It's a sacrificial act just as Jesus did for me ~ which is nothing in the realm of what I consider "usual" today.  

I love God and want to find new ways to express my love to God. I don't want to be stuck in "the usual." I want to give Him all I have... not just the usual.

Lord, thank you for this beautiful day! The sun is shining and I feel your warmth on my skin. Thank you for not being just the usual God... thank you for being the indescribable, exceptional, merciful, lovable God!  I worship You for You give me the strength, peace, comfort and love that could only come from You! I pray for you protective hand to be on my family this week. Touch them in a way only You can. I humbly give You the praise and glory for I know there are times I don't deserve to be in Your presence! In your precious son, Jesus' name.

No comments:

Post a Comment