Wednesday, February 18, 2009

amazing characteristic

Natalie has been involved in gymnastics for a couple of years now.
Last night I received a call from her instructor informing me she 
has passed all of the intermediate classes and is ready to advance to the next level.  I'm so proud of her.  She flips and flops and jumps from anything and everything she can climb.  The main reason I want her to be involved with something such as gymnastics is to develop her personal characteristics. Gymnastics has the capability of teaching her balance (which i am lacking) and grace. 

Over the years I have heard different renditions of the classic hymn "Amazing Grace."  One of my favorite songs is by Chris Tomlin who rewrote the chorus of Amazing Grace to reflect breaking free from the chains of the flesh that bonds us from really experiencing a true relationship with God. "My chains are gone, I've been set free. My God, my savior has ransomed me! And like a flood, His mercy reigns unending love, amazing grace." Isn't it great to know that grace is a characteristic of God? 

Webster defines "Grace" as both a noun and a verb: unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration of sanctification; a virtue coming from God. Also goes on accounting grace as approval, favor, mercy, and/or pardon. Then begins to describe grace as a quality: a charming or attractive trait or characteristicease and suppleness of movement or bearing. 

The bible talks about grace in many different forms. Often we are told that grace is something that we can have and is freely given to us. "Grace be with us," Titus 3:15 and "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ," Philemon 1:3. "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit." Philemon 1:25.  The spirit of grace is used to describe the characteristics of God. Hebrews 10:29 "...spirit of grace...".  And we are given examples in Luke and Acts of the "grace of God." Grace is one perspective of describing God. Personally, I think grace is an amazing and attractive trait to have. 

The bible constantly reminds me to be more like Christ. First Peter 2:21, "...to this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow...". We are called to be like Christ.  He is the only example we are given to understand how to treat each other in love.  If He has given me this precious, free gift of grace, I in turn should give grace to others.  I find myself occasionally hardening my heart towards individuals who may have hurt me in one way or another. But that's not the example I have been given.  I must demonstrate grace... 

I know I need grace. If it were not for His amazing grace, I would not be forgiven.  I am in no way perfect. I am a sinner who tries to do the right thing and make the right decision, but I constantly fall from grace. In Galations 5, just when I lose sight of Christ, "...ye are fallen from grace."  When I admit I need grace I immediately think I have done something wrong which I need to be "excused" or "pardoned." At that exact moment I realize it's time to run a "self-check." Sometimes I need to repent. And sometimes I am just reminded how grace is a gift and characteristic of God and it is up to me to accept this gift.  

I want the full benefits of being a child of God. So, knowing that grace is freely given to me and is a characteristic of God Himself, why would I not be overwhelmed with desire to receive and demonstrate this amazing characteristic? Oh to be more like Him!

Thank goodness for grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment