Tuesday, April 14, 2009

attitude

"I chose to have a good day today...." That's what I'm saying to myself inside today, but things around me keep me aggravated. I'm grumpy today.

When I was in high school I disliked reading. My dad knew this, so much so that I remember him making me read a single page of the newspaper every day. I remember dreading it! It wasn't so much that I couldn't read, but that the newspaper was always about who died, or who was arrested, etc. I enjoy reading more since I'm older, but if it hasn't captured my attention within the first couple of sentences or chapters, I still hesitate to finish it. And to this day, I still dislike reading the newspaper. I've lived in my house for over two years now and someone thinks I should still receive the paper daily even though I have never paid for it. There have been a few times that I've even thought I should post a sign in the yard that says, "Stop throwing newspapers at my house."

Why do I dislike reading the paper? Same reason I dislike watching the news on television... There's nothing positive there. It is too depressing; arrests, celebrities busted for whatever, the dropping economy, gas prices, war, etc. I don't watch a lot of television although Natalie loves the TV. There are only a few channels that I actually allow her to watch. I check out the weather channel occasionally, but every morning, I turn the radio on to a local Christian station to catch the weather for the day. If I'm in the mood to turn on the TV, I typically look for Nickelodeon or something with clean comedy. Although, the other day we were watching something on Nick and asked Natalie to change the channel because of the language. I wish I enjoyed sports more than I do. Game reports are typically the only "good" news in the news. Growing up, my parents didn't allow me to listen to "non-christian" music. Now as a parent, I thank them for that today. Their theory was "trash in / trash out." I still feel that way today ~ especially with music and television. I think the more I expose my mind to the negatives, the more my attitude is negative. My Missionettes verse growing up was Philippians 4:8, Whatsoever things are pure, lovely, true, just, of good report... think on these things.

This morning, Natalie woke up smiling, but by the time we got in the car, she was a grump. She "copped" an attitude during our morning routine and carried it with her to school. Usually by the time we get to school, she has dusted off the attitude, but not this day. I believe my comment to her was something to the effect of... You can choose to have a good day or not.

The last couple of weeks at work has been very stressful with deadlines and changes in programs making me miss my deadlines. My body is telling me its been a long week already. The other day, I woke up with a stiff neck and pain in my shoulders ~ it matched my attitude towards work right now. I'm battling a head and chest cold. How I react to something, someone or a situation can begin to affect me physically. God gives me choices and through His word, gives me examples of composure. As referenced in Luke, Jesus was tested when He was in the wilderness when He was there to pray and fast. He never gave in to the temptation of turning a stone into bread.

Living for God as stated in 1 Peter 4, tells me to put aside human desires and have the same attitude as Christ who suffered for me. Hebrews 4 reminds me that God's word is alive and active and is sharper than any two edge sword. It alone judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart and nothing is hidden from God's sight.

Lord, help me to have a positive attitude today. Help me to be cautious in my actions and behavior so I can always show your grace and love. Help me to continue to use your word as a living and active part of my life so that I may continually be on guard of my thoughts and attitude. Thank you for the ultimate suffering and sacrifice of your son, Christ, and your never-fading power allowing him to overcome death. I know you see every breath I take. Help me to be always conscience of your presence in my life and self aware of my actions and reactions to others. Again, thank you for loving me even when I know I don't deserve it. It's in your son, Jesus' name that I ask for your guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment