Wednesday, April 22, 2009

unapologetic patience

Tuesday at work I was in meetings all day. We are working on the brand essence and strategy of one of our internal licensed properties. We hired a consultant to come in and talk to us about where this product line currently stands and where she thought we might need to invest our time going forward. She said something so clear and profound to me. It hit home to me on a professional as well as personal level. Sue said, "Intentionally become something. Do that something well and be completely unapologetic about it."

I recently talked about temptations and how being tempted doesn't equal sin. In the first chapter of James he tells me to consider my experience all joy when I am facing trials and temptations because it is in the trials my faith develops patience. A few years ago I struggled through many difficult situations ~ one right after another and sometimes large waves overlapping waves. I remember asking "why?" many times. I remember specifically one afternoon while talking to my dad on the phone, he asked me if I was praying for patience. I assured him I was not, but I could have muttered it a time or two under my breath. I think especially since I was raising an "almost two year old" and there were days that I was lacking patience. I completely believe God hears every word of my prayers. If I ask for something such as patience, He will see to it that I learn and sometimes those lessons are almost more than I can handle. So now, I just be sure to thank Him often for the patience He has given me. James goes on to say that learning patience, allows me to maturely grow and become spiritually complete, meaning I lack nothing.

In James 1:13 I am instructed to not accuse God of tempting me. "13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." Wow! that's powerful. So, I hope I'm understanding these verses correctly: God doesn't tempt me because as stated in verse 16 only good and perfect gifts from from Him. It is my own evil, fleshly desires that pull me away from God. So since I know verse 16 is true, I need to be cautious of what I allow to influence me. When I fall and give in to my desires, to give in to my temptations... I immediately have committed sin. It is the action taken upon the desire where I fall. And in every Sunday School lesson growing up, I know that even the "smallest" of sin is still sin. And sin in evidently equals spiritual death. BUT James reassures me in verse 17 that I am blessed and will receive a crown of life just as God has promised to those who love Him and have perseveres under trial when he stood the test. God wants me to conquer my fleshly desires. It is part of the daily processes of dying the flesh to understand His will for me!

When Sue said the words, "be unapologetic about who you are," I smiled. I've been asking God to make me transparent and be honest with myself and in turn, I can be honest with God. As stated in Luke 16 He knows my heart. Yes, I'm tempted. But knowing God is on my side, and with His help to overcome temptation I have nothing to apologize for being on this journey with God and becoming who He wants me to be.

Lord, thank you for the patience you have given to me. The trials that you have given me patience to persevere has only strengthened my faith in you and I appreciate You more. Thank you for being unapologetic about who You are! James stated it beautifully in verse 17, "Father of Heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." I'm so grateful You have always been, are, and always will be the same God. Thank you for the family you have given me and Your healing power. It is only through You, I claim victory over sickness, trials and claim victory over temptations. Thank you, dear God, for Your mercy and grace. In your son's glorious name, Jesus, I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment