Saturday, March 21, 2009

dance in the rain

Tuesday, this week, we had the most beautiful day we've had all year. The weather was gorgeous. I turned off the furnace this week and am joyfully welcoming Spring! Although it was beautiful outside, I was frantically inside the house all day taking care of a minor-emergency with Natalie. My initial plans were the typical work day... Natalie in school. But that came to a halt that morning. On Saturday I had planned to do some lawn work. The first mowing of the season. I woke up to rain and the whole day turned out to be a bit too wet. Although my plans didn't pan out, I quickly realized there was plenty to do indoors on a rainy day. Too often am I changing plans at the last minute.


Ultimately, God works on his timing. Ephesians is a complete book about predestination. Wednesday night at church we talked about God's will and man's will colliding or meshing. In the past, I've given quite a bit of thought over the years about being predetermined by my heavenly Father. And having those thoughts, I've often used the excuse that I'm walking in God's will ~ sorta speak. I don't think that way today. At that time, not really understanding my responsibility of the predestination, I still knew I could easily fall from grace. I believe God gives us the ability to choose right from wrong. I believe He allows us to see and understand more things as we draw closer to Him. I think He longs for us to want to know more and be used by Him. One way to honor God is by keeping His commandments. In Acts 13:47, "For this is what the Lord has commanded us: 'I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth." Salvation... where does that fit in to being predestined?


So, I ask myself... Where is my salvation? At what point am I saved? Ephesians 1:4-5 tells me that Salvation begins or originates in the mind of God. I have been chosen and salvation is no accident, nor after-thought. It is very intentional. Romans 8:29 says that "For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." Our Wednesday night teacher said in class, "God's plan is built on His foreknowledge because He knows all things, therefore He plans all things according to His purpose."

I also know that salvation is only mine because of the grace of God. In 2 Timothy 1: 9-10 "who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel." It takes faith to be thankful for His merciful gift of grace ~ I am saved. If it were not for grace, none of us would be here today. In Ephesians 2:8 it tells me, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—" Titus 2:11-15 "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12 It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."


From the beginning of time, God has been anticipating me to draw closer to Him. Here I am, Lord. When I think I have planned out my day, and ultimately make a u-turn I know He is in charge. Although I belly-ached and rejoiced all in the same breath when I heard the rain this morning, I knew there was something bigger and better on the plate for today. I'm reminded of this quote by Vivian Greene, "Life's not about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain."


I hope I never lose my smile knowing that God is waiting for me. Not only is He waiting for me in my heavenly home, but right here, where I sit... He waits for me. So I get up, turn on the music so together He and I can continue to dance in the rain.. no matter how terrible the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment