Sunday, March 29, 2009

purity

What is purity? Recently I wrote about having a pure heart, but God continues to lay this topic of purity heavily on my heart. In 2 Timothy 2:20-21, Paul writes to Timothy telling him to be a pure vessel. Not just be any vessel, be a vessel that that can be used by God. So many vessels are not taken care of, not constructed properly to withstand harsh environments, but God asks us to be a vessel that has a noble purpose and is holy. We should be set apart from the earthly things. When I think about that study, I often think about adolescence years and staying pure for your soon to be spouse; but now that I'm past that stage in life, purity means so much more to me.


As a child of God, it is my responsibility to be prepared to do any good work... to be useful to the Master. The bible says in 2 Timothy 2: 15 to "study to shew thyself approved unto God." I'm instructed to know the right from the wrong and be able to "rightly divide the word of truth." Ephesians 4: 21-24, If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Having a truly pure heart grants me permission to have the characteristics of God ~ to be like Him. I am to be mindful of things that are good and pure. I'm not to dwell in the negatives of life, but be full of life for it is in the negative that I become less pure. In 2 Timothy 2:16 I am instructed to shun away from profane and vain babbling... "...for they will increase unto more ungodliness." Philippians 4:8, "Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good report, if there be any virtue, if there be any praise, think on these things." This is a small list of virtues describing Christ. Christ is so much more than just this list, but oh, He is all these things and more.


As a mother, it is my responsibility to create an environment to help my daughter grow up in purity. I'm instructed to do that... In order for me to help her, I myself must continue to evaluate myself and my actions and lifestyle. At this stage in her life, I am her hero, her provider, her comforter, her all. (Thanks, God, for allowing me to be that to her). But understanding that responsibility only truly comes from God.

God gave Natalie to me. She is a blessing as are all children a blessing from God. Psalm 127:3 "Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward." I am the example in which she will grow up with whether that is good or bad. Everything I do, reflects on her little life for the good or bad. Every move I make, in the back of my mind I'm asking myself, how does this affect Natalie? Now, I am in no way perfect. I fail. I fail a lot ~ as a mother, a sister, a daughter, a coworker, a child of God... I fail. It is through God's grace and forgiveness that I can continue on, and ask for forgiveness when I do fail. And hopefully my faults are evident enough to learn from my shortcomings. In Titus 1:15-16 not to turn from the truth... 15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. 16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

It is my responsibility to live a pure life ~obedient to God, professing God in all I say and do, keeping my actions and thoughts pure in His sight.

Lord, today I ask you to guide my thoughts and my hands. Use me as your vessel and continue to mold me to be a workman of good for You. Help me to have a mindset on pure things and be conscience and build a resistance of things that distract me from you. Help me to be pure for You, but also for Natalie's sake so that she can grow strong and confident in Your strength, hope and love. Help me to continue to be sensitive and humble in your spirit. I praise you for being you and rejoice in all you do for me with a thanksgiving heart. In your sons gracious name.

No comments:

Post a Comment