Monday, March 2, 2009

no other

My trip to Asia was extended a couple of days due to an incomplete task. As I made my way back in to Hong Kong, I'm not sure exactly which bay area I took this photo, but it was a beautiful sunset. All along the shore lines were stacked cargo bins. It was incredibly amazing how much it resembled organized chaos. Even in the third world country, stained with poverty, His beauty shines through the harbour sunset.

There seemed to be no "middle class" as we would say in America. The diversity was either very, very poor or very, very wealthy. The hotels that I have stayed at have been elaborate, but looking out the hotel room window and see nothing but a third world country. Hong Kong is a very different society. I noticed right away that there is a more urban environment, similar to that of New York City with people everywhere.

I'm reminded everywhere how blessed I am to live in a country of freedom. I ventured out to see the Chinese god, "big buddha". There was a lot of controversy stirring in my spirit the whole time I was there. Of course it is a huge tourist attraction and part of world history, but to see the people bow down and burn incense to a copper statue, I felt very uncomfortable.
I enjoyed the cable car ride up the mountain and back, but I refused to purchase any items in the gift shop because the lady at the counter said all proceeds go to the temple. In my mind, I heard "thou shalt have no other gods before Me" Exodus 20:3. It was so clear to me that I have so many gods before God... television, internet... As I stood there and looked up at that huge statue I thought ~ it's not the statue at all... it's everything in my life that I have allowed to creep in and take me further from God. What a humbling experience. Today I'm thanking God's for His faithful grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment