Sunday, March 8, 2009

give

I like to think that I am a giver. Don't we all? But I know I don't give all I can. If money is not something I have a lot of, what should I give?

Natalie has taught me so much about giving. Even last year, out of selfless love, at five years old, she cut 10.5" of her hair off to donate to Locks-of-Love. Grant it, she is so tender-headed and I had been begging her to cut her hair to eliminate shedding tears every morning, but she had nothing to do with the idea until I told her about Locks-of-Love. At the time she heard about donating, her hair wasn't quite long enough to donate. So she waited a few months and when it was just long enough, she bravely, without hesitation stepped up and cut it off. Now, that may be significant giving, but none-the-less at five years old, she never hesitated.
(Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. http://www.locksoflove.org/)

God tells me to give ~ unhesitating, joyous giving ~ that's of my money, my time, and if anyone asks for something and I have it to give ~ I should give. Luke 6:30 says, "
Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back." To me those are such strong words. This is something I have to work on because by nature, I am very territorial and want whats fair to me and mine. I think it was my preacher that said this and it has stuck with me, "If someone takes something from me, I try to think that they need it more than I do ~ think of it as a gift to them from me." I think those words are kind, but I believe giving should be intentional and generous.

2 Corinthians 9 tells me about reaping what I sow. "
Whoever sows sparingly, will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously," verse 6. God does not want me to give in His name expecting something in return, but I believe if we are faithful at giving, He is faithful to bless in His time. In verse 12, I'm told my giving is for several reasons. one being helping others and one is just merely showing God's love and being obedient. 12 "This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God." By giving, verse 13 says that I will have proven myself and men will praise God for this obedience and generosity. 13" Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else..."

Today I'm going to give and give joyously just to show God's wonderful love.

No comments:

Post a Comment